Professional sportsmen and women train and compete, either individually or as part of a team, in their chosen sport for financial gain.
- Participates in exhibitions, pre-qualifying events, tournaments and competitions
- Attends training sessions to develop skills and practice individual or team moves and tactics
- Builds stamina, physical strength and agility through running, fitness exercises and weight training
- Maintains clothing and other specialised sporting equipment
- Discusses performance problems with coaches, physiotherapists, dieticians and doctors.
No academic qualifications are required. Entry is based upon talent that can be further developed through coaching and training.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £5,000 per annum and can progress up to £9,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 1,119 employed Sports Players in the region.