Steel erectors fit and erect structural metal framework for buildings and other structures such as metal chimneys.
- Examines drawings and specifications to assess job requirements
- Erects ladders, scaffolding or working cage
- Directs hoisting and positioning of girders and other metal parts and checks alignment
- Arranges for or undertakes bolting and welding of metal parts
- Checks alignment of metal parts using spirit level and plumb-rule.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills and the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £30,000 per annum and can progress up to £32,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 1,285 employed Steel Erectors in the region.