Weighers, Graders & Sorters
Jobholders in this unit group weigh, grade and sort materials, goods and products.
- Examines hide, skins, leather, fabric, wool, rags, scrap metal, tobacco pipe bowls, fish, fibres, ceramics, produce and other goods
- Assesses product quality visually and by touch, and grades according to weight, thickness, colour and other quality criteria
- Ascertains material(s) required from order card, recipe, or specification and weighs and measures prescribed quantities accordingly
- Uses balances, springs, weighing platforms, automatic scales and weighbridges to check the weight of goods, products and loaded vehicles
- Records and calculates gross and net weight, checks delivery notes and prepares documents and labels for identification purposes
- Operates machines to measure lengths of rolls of material and irregularly shaped materials such as leather or sheepskin.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically received on-the-job, supplemented by short courses relating to the specific material or product being considered.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £20,000 per annum and can progress up to £25,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 1,546 employed Weighers, Graders & Sorters in the region.