This is a brand new study programme for students wishing to experience the construction trades whilst developing their maths and English skills. 15 hours per week - will include a wide range of practical tasks in all trade areas and we will encourage you to develop the skills in the area that they are hoping to progress into.
What will I learn?
You will gain a general understanding and broad experience of the construction trades whilst developing the maths and English skills required to progress. You will get a taste of the craft options available to you and we will start you on the path to becoming a craftsperson who needs to have completed a Level 3 trade qualification or an Apprenticeship.
- Bricklaying - you will build half brick and block walls
- Joinery you will complete halving and housing joints
- Painting & decorating - you will learn painting techniques and paint a panelled door
- Plastering you will learn to prepare and apply render and finish coats
- Tiling you will tile a wall
- Plumbing you will fix rainwater drainage and bend and fix copper pipe
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a variety of methods including project work, written assignments and/or practical tasks.
Successful interview demonstrating interest in the construction trades.
Progression & Career Opportunities
Successful students generally progress onto a Level 2 Diploma in their chosen trade, however direct entry to full time employment or a construction apprenticeship is also possible. We are currently working closely with local employers and authorities who express the need for a multi-skilled craftsperson in the future to meet demand in general building maintenance.
You will be required to purchase your own uniform including toe protector shoes / boots.