The qualification is designed for learners who want to go on to higher level studies. It will give learners skills, knowledge and an understanding of the sport and physical activity sector.
What will I learn?
Students will learn a broad range of skills for the sports and exercise science industry and will provide the following:
- focus on the study of the sport and physical activity sector
- offer breadth and depth of study, through a choice of 4 specific pathways
- provide opportunities to acquire a number of practical and technical skills
The objectives of the qualification is to:
- allow learners to gain an in-depth understanding of the sport and physical activity sector
- give learners the opportunity to investigate career opportunities in the sport and physical activity sector
- allow learners to choose content which relates to their own interests, aspirations and progression choices
Exercise, health and lifestyle
Preparing for a career in sport and physical activity
Principles of anatomy and physiology
Applied exercise physiology
Fitness training and programming
- Sports nutrition
How will I be assessed?
Assessments will be varied and include some of the following:
Students will require four GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above including English and Maths OR an equivalent Level 2 qualification at merit grade.
Progression & Career Opportunities
Learners who achieve this qualification can progress to the following:
- NCFE Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training
- NCFE Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Personal Training
- NCFE Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Outdoor Programmes
- NGB coaching awards
- Apprenticeships in various sectors within sport and physical activity
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Sports Development or Fitness
- Degree in Sport and Exercise Science or Sport and Leisure
- Degree in Outdoor Adventure or Leadership
You can also progress onto NGB outdoor coaching or instructor qualifications such as:
- Mountain Training Lowland Leader
- Hill and Moorland Leader or Mountain Leader
- Climbing Wall Instructor or Rock Climbing Instructor
- RYA Dinghy Instructor
- British canoeing Level 2 Coach
This course will include trips and contact with a range of employers. You will also wear a sports uniform.