We are proud to offer facilities such as the Life Skills and Future Life Centres at our Aylesbury and Wycombe campuses, which are specifically designed to meet the needs of students with learning difficulties and are both comfortable and safe learning environments.
The Life Skills Centre at the Aylesbury campus is a provision set up to help young adults with learning difficulties develop the skills to live and work more independently. It was created as a joint venture with Bucks County Council to support students with learning difficulties to live and learn in their local community.
Following the success of the Life Skills Centre, a second specialist education centre, the Future Life Centre was opened at the Wycombe campus. Our facilities are some of the first in the UK to focus on vocation and employment, as well as living more independently and academic studies, offering greater opportunities for young people with communication difficulties including hearing impairment. The National Trust and Sainsbury’s are two of the partner employers involved in the Wycombe provision which gives over sixty students a chance to study and prepare for employment.
At each campus there’s no fixed curriculum; instead programmes are developed based on student’s individual goals. They’ll be given opportunities to run businesses at the Wycombe campus including an on-site laundry and café, along with scope for work experience at venues like Waddesdon Manor. Across both sites students will learn skills for budgeting, staying safe, using public transport independently, keeping fit and cooking meals.
Campus facilities include:
- Two fully equipped classrooms with the latest learning technology and outside learning spaces
- Chill out room/quiet space
- A craft room with its own outdoor space
- Fully equipped and accessible kitchen
- Sensory garden and communal garden area
- Domestic skills room
- Therapy room to carry out speech and language, occupational and behaviour therapy
- A central multi-purpose social area for students
- Disabled toilet and wet room facility
- Designated drop off and pick up point for transport.
Centre therapies include:
- Speech and language therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Music therapy
The Future Life Centre is able to offer a broad range of educational experiences as a result of its partnerships with agencies which include; MacIntyre No Limits, Talkback Equip, Oxfordshire NHS, Buckinghamshire NHS and Chiltern Music.