Local Government Administrative Occupations
Job holders in this unit group undertake a variety of administrative and clerical duties in local government offices and departments.
- Computes cost of product/services and maintains and balances records of financial transactions
- Prepares and checks invoices and verifies accuracy of records
- Receives and pays out cash and cheques and performs closely related clerical duties
- Updates and maintains data, correspondence and other records for storage or despatch
- Arranges, classifies and indexes publications, correspondence and other material in libraries and offices
- Performs other clerical duties not elsewhere classified including preparing financial information for management, proof reading printed material and drafting letters in reply to correspondence or telephone enquiries.
Entry is most common with GCSEs/S grades. Evidence of keyboard skills may also be required in some posts. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2 and 3.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £26,000 per annum and can progress up to £28,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 19,893 employed Local Government Administrative Occupations in the region.