Vehicle Body Builders & Repairers
Job holders in this unit group construct and repair the bodies of road vehicles, and fit interior and exterior fittings to vehicle bodies.
- Diagnoses job requirements or ascertains work specifications from drawings or instructions
- Selects, cuts, shapes and assembles materials to form parts of vehicle underframe, framework and body
- Repairs damage to chassis and engine mountings using hydraulic rams, jacks and jigs
- Hammers out dents in bodywork, fills in small depressions or corroded areas in solder, plastic or other filler compound and replaces body panels using hand and power tools
- Installs and repairs interior fittings including seats, seatbelts and fascia in cars, sinks and special features in caravans and mobile shops
- Positions, secures and repairs external fittings including windows, doors, door handles, catches and roof attachments.
There are no formal academic entry requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Apprenticeships at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3 are also available and take between three to four years to complete. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £27,000 per annum and can progress up to £34,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 2,534 employed Vehicle Body Builders & Repairers in the region.