Sports & Leisure Assistants
Sports and leisure assistants, provide and maintain facilities for sporting and recreational activities and supervise their use, maintain the continuity of entertainment and social events, offer odds and accept bets on the result of sporting and other events and control gambling activities.
- Maintains sports and leisure equipment and prepares equipment for use
- Supervises the use of swimming pools, gymnasium apparatus, fitness machines and other recreational equipment
- Maintains hygienic operation of swimming pools and associated facilities such as jacuzzis, showers and changing areas
- Carries clubs for golfers, advises on the layout and distance of golf courses and appropriate choice of golf club
- Announces acts, makes introductions, proposes toasts and maintains the continuity of entertainment events and social functions
- Assesses likely outcome of an event and establishes odds, accepts and records bets, issues receipts and pays out on winning bets
- Controls the progress of games of cards, roulette and other gambling activities according to established rules
There are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. A variety of vocational qualifications is available in Sports and Recreation and Leisure and Tourism.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £18,000 per annum and can progress up to £22,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 7,304 employed Sports & Leisure Assistants in the region.