Sales & Retail Assistants
Sales and retail assistants demonstrate and sell a variety of goods and services in shops, stores, showrooms and similar establishments.
- Discusses customer requirements, including type and price range of goods/services desired
- Advises customer on selection, purchase, use and care of merchandise and quotes prices, discounts and delivery times
- Advises customer making major purchase on credit terms and arranges finance as appropriate
- Receives full or partial payment, checks validity of form of payment, writes or prints bill, receipt or docket and packages merchandise for customer
- Arranges and replenishes goods on display stands, undertakes stock checks and assists with the receipt of deliveries from suppliers into the stock room
- Handles returns and deals with customer complaints.
No minimum academic qualifications are required although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically provided on-the-job. Apprenticeships and NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at various levels.
What could I earn?
Salaries for this occupation tend to start at £17,000 per annum and can progress up to £29,000 per annum.
Is it in growth or decline?
There are currently 162,521 employed Sales & Retail Assistants in the region.
N/A / NOTIFICATION / 7 Dec 2021